Week 3- Mt Denali and The North Pole

I have enjoyed so much hearing from you and how you are doing. It looks like fall is especially beautiful everywhere this year. The pictures I have seen from Utah and Indiana (Kate) look so pretty. Thank you for sharing them with me. I think lovely thoughts of fall will help carry us through winter. It is starting to get colder and darker. It was interesting when we got our flu shots we asked the pharmacist how cold the winter would be. She said she came from Wisconsin a few years ago and Alaska winters were much better than the cold Wisconsin winters! So I guess it could be worse (Poor Wes in Wisconsin). 


We have been trying to go to all 9 Zone conferences this month to introduce ourselves and let them know what we can do to help them. We went to Palmer about an hour north of Anchorage and Fairbanks, about 360 miles NE (a 6 hr drive). Palmer was where we went to the fall festival the first week we were here but I hadn't met the missionaries there. A few hours before we were getting ready to go I was the only one in the mission office and I was answering phones. A missionary's father called and urgently needed to talk to Pres. King, who was at the zone conference. I got the information and sent the message to him. I later found out that a family member had died and they wanted Pres. King to let her know. I felt it was a blessing that she was at the zone conference and Pres. and Sis King could be there with her when she received the news. I know that if they had been in Fairbanks instead they could have found a way to handle the situation. But I was grateful for the timing that they could be there when they were needed. It made me think that even though hard things happen the Lord does not intend for you to be alone and handle hard things without help. He will find a way to send comfort. I admire the strength and courage of the young missionaries as they handle life's hard lessons. 

On Friday we went to Fairbanks. We left around 6:30 so we could get there around 1 for the afternoon part of zone conference. The mission pays for our gas and hotel to spend the night which was nice not to have to drive back the same day. We drove by Mt Denali most of the way.



There is a really good podcast on This is the Gospel episode 37, Climbing the Mountain. It is about 45 min but is a gripping story about an experience as a guide on Mt Denali. We stopped at a lot of spots along the way to get a good picture. The closest spot was 43 miles away and is impressive but I hoped to get closer.

The national park is mostly hiking trails from 90 miles away. During the summer you can take a bus ride closer but it is 76 miles of dirt road to get there. We did see a lynx by the side of the road in the park. From behind I thought it was a coyote and Gary thought it was a dog but when we drove by it turned and looked right at us and it was a lynx. Too bad we didn't get a picture! 

We also went to the North Pole which is just south of Fairbanks. They have the best hot chocolate!

We saw lots of Christmas decorations, a huge Santa with his sleigh, real reindeer, and yes they told us it is tradition to kiss under the mistletoe like Santa and Mrs. Claus. We saw the missionaries by the reindeer and they took our picture.



The Elders really look so young. They really do remind me of the sons of Helaman who were exceedingly young but so brave. They walk around and talk to people who are there. Most people when you wear your name tag will either ask you about the tag and the church or are just friendly and tell you about interactions they have had with missionaries. I know I would think it is hard to just go up to talk to people but it seems people often initiate the conversation or you are just friendly and leave it at that. 


One last thing that was interesting in Fairbanks was seeing the Alaska Pipeline. It pumps a million dollars of oil an hour. It looks so unobtrusive and quiet. Just a medium-sized pipe off the side of the road. 



I had hoped to see the Northern Lights while we were in Fairbanks because I looked online and it predicted excellent viewing this weekend. Gary had a friend who used to live here and he said his friend who follows the lights said there was no way there would be lights this weekend. So since it was 27 degrees outside, we didn't go out to look Friday night at midnight. But Saturday night they said you could see the lights. Drat!! The next prediction is Oct 21-25. I will go looking then (Even though we will be in Anchorage and not Fairbanks which is in the polar aural oval). So no Northern Lights pictures yet. At least not any that Gary hasn't downloaded from the internet.
(Here is a link to beautiful Northern Light pictures)

I'm sorry these letters get to be so long but there is so much happening and we are having such a good time. I enjoy the new things we get to see but am especially grateful to feel the joy that comes from serving others and feeling the spirit of the missionaries' and member's testimonies. 
I am blessed each day. I hope you have a good week. You are in our thoughts and prayers each day. Life is good!!
Love,
Elder and Sister Robinson

Comments

  1. The kids loved seeing the pictures from The North Pole, how fun to visit Santa! I loved the picture of Mt Denali from 43 miles away because if you were to get too close you may not be able to capture all its beauty! It was fun to hear about this weeks adventures and I loved your experience answering the phone in time to get the message to President King. It is a good reminder that God is aware of us and in His perfect timing he gives us the comfort and blessings we need. We miss you and love you! Never apologize for your letters being too long, we love reading everything you send! -love Linds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun at the Fair and a Surprise Visitor

A Full and Happy Week (or Two)

I Love Fall