Week 5




 The big news this week is that we passed our drivers license exam and are now licensed Alaska drivers. I was able to get my license in about 45 min. They gave Elder Robinson both the Drivers test and Motorcycle test since he had a motorcycle endorsement on his UT license. He hadn't studied but he passed both tests, it just took a little longer. Ironically as we were driving home we saw a moose in the road which is one of the questions on the test, "What do you do if you see a moose in the road?" You brake to a stop and do not swerve. We have seen this moose wandering around the mission office. 


The next interesting thing was the Northern Lights were very active around Fairbanks this past week. We didn't see them in Anchorage but there is a website that shows nightly pictures of the sky at Poker Flats by Fairbanks. I would check off an on through the night and see the time lapse video. It isn't the same but I think getting to see the Northern Lights is like trying to see a big thunder and lightning storm. You have to be at the right place at the right time when it happens. I still really enjoyed the show. Plus I wasn't in the middle of Alaska at midnight to 5 am in the 10 degree weather. It was really amazing to see even on camera. 


Lindsey had asked me about shopping and food prices. The Costco here has things at about the same price as in UT. Produce is still a little more expensive but not too bad. I love flannel lined pants and warm socks! Walmart is not too bad either but furniture and housewares are still quite expensive but you can find things to make do. I did like the Gingerbread Oreos. It reminds me of Lindsey. What holiday flavors have you seen so far?


 I was so surprised at the empty shelves at Target and high prices. Not much to get there. With the earthquake and tsunami warning for Kodiak island this past week we are going to work with the missionaries to update their emergency preparedness. The tsunami warning was only an increase in waves by 2ft this time but you never know. There are 6 active volcanoes and frequent earthquakes here. I think it wouldn't take much to have a lot of empty shelves in case of disaster.



We are supposed to get a foot of snow tomorrow and it will be cold the rest of the week. I don't know if there will be many who go trick or treating. I haven't seen a lot of Halloween decorations. I think with the weather people don't put much outside. I'm prepared though. 





I included this sculpture of a dog. It was in commemoration of "Hero Dogs". They had a cute little 4 year old boy do the unveiling. He looked happy but I think that is a pretty scary looking dog! As Pres and Sister King say a lot "Only in Alaska". They do have a unique spin on things. 



I did want to share with you how much I have appreciated this week learning to value differences. I have seen how the strengths and weaknesses of each missionary complement each other as we all work together. But I also think especially during this time of turmoil, contention and criticism nothing will improve until we are willing to overlook faults and weaknesses and view each other with kindness. I loved the conference messages on being merciful, unified and forgiving. I was grateful to be able to go to church today and listen to the speakers bear their testimony of their love of the gospel. It was uplifting to focus on what we share (our love of the gospel). It felt like a refuge from the storms in society right now and brings peace at the end of the day. There is a lot of good when you look for it. I am so glad to be here and see things from a different perspective. It is getting cold outside here but the people have warm hearts. 

We love and miss you all but are so grateful for the experiences we are having. 

Have a happy, healthy safe week!

Love, Sis Robinson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun at the Fair and a Surprise Visitor

A Full and Happy Week (or Two)

I Love Fall