Happy Valentines Day

It was a surprise to receive some valentines this week! Kate helped Annie, June and Jack send some valentines they had made while they were home with a snow day. We hung them in the office and enjoyed looking at them all week. We also received a nice note from one of the boys in our Primary class that we taught last year before the pandemic. And today the sister missionaries were handing out valentines to ward members in the church lobby to brighten the day. I think my favorite part of Valentines Day is to be surprised by  an unexpected love/appreciation note! We want family and friends to know how much we think of you and are grateful for the happiness you bring to us.  We think about fun times together and also the support and encouragement you give in hard or challenging times.  In the words of one of our valentines, "Celebrate being Wonderful". WE LOVE YOU!



This week we received our 2nd Moderna Covid vaccine. I was surprised how bad I felt the next day. Fever, chills, headache and muscle aches. It hurt to move. So I didn't go to the mission office and stayed home under blankets. Elder Robinson was moving some missionaries and was able to get that done. But after that we both took a sick day off. The miracle of this is that we didn't receive any calls or texts from missionaries until we felt better. Without even asking! We both felt better about 24 hours later. Even with feeling sick, it didn't last that long and I don't think was as bad as what actual Covid would have been. You just don't know. Hope the vaccine is effective for a long time (more than 3 months at least). 

Earlier in the week there was a missionary that ended up getting an appendectomy. Sometimes the missionaries downplay their symptoms. He texted me about feeling sick. When his mission companions texted later that he was really sick, I called to talk to him and sent him to get treatment. He had the surgery, was only hospitalized for  a day and when he was discharged home, he asked if he could get up at 6:30 the next morning on their regular schedule. I told him to sleep in. The next day we went by to take him some chicken soup and check on him. His abdomen was sore but he is recovering very quickly. I love missionaries' indomitable spirit. Youth does have its advantages. I remember when Collynn had her appendix out when she was twelve (?) she was out riding her bicycle the next day. I told the elder that and he said he wasn't ready to ride a bike yet. 

The missionaries do look out for each other and support each other. A missionary from Soldotna (3 hrs away) was able to go to the temple on Saturday. All of the missionaries in his zone(10) came with him to go to the temple. That is a really remarkable experience. I know missionaries develop strong friendships but I didn't expect to see how well they really do work together, get along, and learn from each other. It has ups and downs but especially by the end of their mission you can see the impact they have had on others, especially those they have served with. Sister Madison Powell will complete her mission in early March. She wrote the best post on Facebook about her reasons for serving a  mission both in the beginning and how she feels now that she is leaving. I saved it on my Facebook page if you can find it. It is so worth reading.  She concludes that there is no bad reason for going on a mission. The chance to come to know Christ, and change because of that experience is worth everything you go through, for whatever reason, for those 18 months. Even as old as I am I feel I am changing for the better because I am here. Better is good!

I visited with Summer this past week about our mission. She asked if we have eaten anything unusual. Most of the fast food restaurants (since sit down restaurants are limited) are the same as at home and we don't vary much from that--McDonalds, Arby's, Panda Express, Taco Bell. Elder Robinson did get some really good Mexican food in Soldotna when he went there to help missionaries move. I think it really was good and not just because he hasn't had it in a while. I know some of you love doughnuts too so we tried those out.  We got Valentine donuts yesterday from Dino Donuts. A lot of flavors were similar to Days doughnuts or Provo Bakery. Pretty good but expensive at $2.25 a donut. (Not sure it's a way of life)





I got a Pork Tenderloin sandwich at Tastee Freeze because I read on Pinterest that Pork Tenderloin is Indiana's most famous sandwich. I couldn't find one when I visited Kate when Jack was born, but the one in Alaska was quite good, with very delicious crispy onion rings. We'll go when you come for the summer, Kate. 


By far the best thing we have eaten since we have been here is Spotted Prawns. A new landlord that rents to the missionaries gave Elder Robinson and 4 missionaries a 1 lb pack of prawns each for helping her move. Her name is Kathy Robinson and she is in her early 60's. She has a fishing boat but not a commercial license so she can't sell anything she catches. So she gives the seafood away. We had the prawns for our Valentine's Day Dinner. I have never had such delicious seafood. It is described as being like lobster in texture and sweetness but it was much  better than lobster. Very sweet seafood flavor. It is also so easy to prepare, just sautee a few minutes in olive oil with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. Then dip it in butter. Mmmmmm! It looks like a big shrimp tail. The shell has slightly sharp spines but was easy to peel by the second attempt (I learn quickly). The heads were not attached, we only had the tail. If ever you get a chance to eat spotted prawns you should do it. DELICIOUS. We also had fresh salmon but it was a bit dry. I am not as good at cooking salmon.




I know it has been quite snowy and wintery in the lower 48 this past week. In fact Kate and Jed in Indiana have more snow and cold now than there is in Anchorage. The storms come and go here. They also are really good at snow removal. I think winter will just last longer into spring. I do love the beautiful blue skies!



We are going dog sledding in Willow next Saturday. The Iditarod is in 3 weeks and will start and end in Willow. The race will only be 870 miles and will not go to Nome because of Covid changes. Hopefully we will learn some interesting things to share and get some good pictures. We are going with President and Sister King and the other 2 senior couples. I was hoping it would be a little warm but it is actually easier for the sled to glide on the snow if it is cold. So now I hope my hat, gloves and boots will be really warm!

Hope it is a good week for each of you. We love and miss you.

Elder and Sister Robinson





Comments

  1. Those prawns sound amazing! I hope you have fun dog sledding. I never would have expected you to do something like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun at the Fair and a Surprise Visitor

A Full and Happy Week (or Two)

I Love Fall