Moose on the Roof

 I didn't think I would post anymore moose pictures because it seems so common to see a moose every day now. But this is a picture on the news of a moose on a roof. Who would think that would happen! The house was next to a hillside and somehow the moose jumped onto the roof. No one had any idea how he would get down from the roof.


It has really felt like winter this week. I think it has been that way through most of the country. I have been doing more driving this week. It is very slippery even with studded tires. I read a quote by Elder Wirthlin that I liked this week for life in general and for driving too. 

    "We don't have to be fast; we simply have to be steady and move in the right direction. 

    We have to do the best we can, one step after another. " 

This was a slower week for me. Fewer Covid issues. Hurray! I did have a missionary that got a cut on his forehead when he bumped into the side of the garage door. It was 8 at night when he called and it had been about 10 hrs since he cut his head. I wasn't sure if I should send him for stitches or not but thought it's better safe than sorry. He came by the next day to see me and I was so glad I sent him to Urgent Care. He got 3 stitches above his eyebrow. I thought of Lindsey when she cut her leg and I didn't have her get stitches. She has a long scar on her leg and I have regretted not having her get stitches. I have learned from experience! Thank you Lindsey for helping me learn and to learn that lesson. I think inspiration helps too.

Another thing I am learning is about technology and social media. I hosted a monthly Health Council Zoom meeting successfully after 4 months of failed attempts. That was a miracle! I also shared a YouTube video on Facebook. It is of a new Shawna Edwards song called Restored. I like a lot of her songs but this is one of my favorites. One of the things I am most grateful for about the gospel is that it provides more of what makes life fulfilling.  This song expresses so much of what I felt when I knew the Book of Mormon was true. I felt more light, truth, peace, hope and love in my life. I hope you will take time to listen to it. 

Elder Robinson is still busy getting missionary apartments, moving, and upgrading furnishings and supplies. He is getting good at driving the big gray van. When we delivered some furniture to the Polynesian elders one of them came out to get the table in shorts/lavalava and flip flops. I think it was 9 degrees!



There were an extra 79 missionaries reassigned to Alaska because of Covid restrictions. Now some are able to return to their original assignment. We have had 14 missionaries leave since December. All of the Samoan missionaries were able to get visa changes so they can be released and stay with family members in the US. One elder and sister served an additional 8 months from when they were supposed to go home. The hard part was not knowing when and how things would resolve. Of those going back to their original missions,  one sister left for Argentina and felt very sad to leave Alaska because she had come to really love  it here. Those going to South America will leave winter in Alaska to have winter in South America. It really is a remarkable time when you think about how different their mission experience has been. Regardless of where they serve, I am grateful to serve with the young missionaries and to see how they grow in life experience and their understanding of the gospel. 

With snow and cold this past week the snow hill is getting bigger. You can see the side dump trailer is full of snow and the hill behind it is about 30 feet tall. 



The cold also brings hoarfrost on the trees. It looks like ice crystals. I couldn't get a picture but when we came out of church today the crystals were floating in the air like glitter. It was so pretty. I never imagined how beautiful Alaska in the winter would be.


The aurora was very pretty this past week. Unfortunately I didn't see it, but some missionaries in Seward and Juneau saw it and got some pictures. Hoping we will see it when Scott comes in March.




Lastly for a food highlight we had some delicious halibut and shrimp chowder made by Elder Tracy for our Saturday Mexican Train game night. Elder and Sister Tracy are another senior couple serving here. They are from Provo too. They both love to fish and have spent a lot of time in Alaska hunting and fishing before coming to serve a mission. He was the Utah County Sheriff for 30+ years. Also David knew their daughter, Nicole, and her now husband, Jared Schramm, in high school. They worked together at Days Market and Brick Oven. It was surprising to make that connection. 


We also found a hamburger place that is like a combination Ripples and Dairy Queen but even more menu items. Big burgers and fries, fish and chips, hot dogs and lots of ice cream treats (Sundaes, cones, milkshakes). It had character and good original fast food. We added it to the list of places to see when visitors come.



That is all the Alaska news for this week. It was exciting to hear that Jack passed his Driver's License test and is the newest 16-year old driver. Scout is an Idaho 14-year old driver (learner's permit). Be Careful! Have a happy Valentines day and enjoy remembering those you love (and let them know). 

I will be thinking of all of you

Love,

Elder and Sister Robinson

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good week. We are missing snow this year, it's been a very mild winter. Scout is scheduled to get his braces off on Wednesday and I hope to go skiing after his appointment. The high will be 18 that day so a cold day to ski, but that's the only day the boys don't have school. Love you both and hope you stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim & DeeAnn HathorneFebruary 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM

    Love reading your blog and looking at the photos.
    Jim and DeeAnn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun at the Fair and a Surprise Visitor

A Full and Happy Week (or Two)

I Love Fall